Thursday, March 27, 2014

Free to Look


Ok so you've seen the above and we are all on the same page now right? Good.

Now this is going to be a short one but I was thinking back to anime I've seen bits and pieces of and remembered this little diddy about a swim team called Free. Now while watching a bit of Free you notice something. That something being muscle highschool boy bodies with little clothing.


Which of course part of the pretty imagery is from what I here a side effect of this spawning from a animation test to show how good the studio was with water. Yet still something about it from the couple episodes I watched felt like I knew what was going on. Which is when I remembered.

The boys in this show were being treated the same as the girls in a ton of other anime!


Such as this example from one of the more extreme, and more poorly written, cases of using the female form in anime that is shown up above. It is like the designer used to do smut or something. Still anyways the point is like how in certain anime the girls will have detail payed to aver bounce of a breast or every bit of fabric in a pair of panties the boys of Free were given stomach and abs to die for and made wetter than a fish in the ocean.

So then I racked my brain and wondered does this mean anything? Is there some great cosmic truth to be taken from this? Well no but the fact it seems to have gotten some exposure to the West I think it is a good thing. For I've always held the belief that just having cheesecake or beefcake designs alone isn't enough to make something bad and it is how you use it and what is the surround plot or characters. Yet at the same time I can see why some people would get annoyed by constantly encounter things like brain dead harem shows and the like that sacrificed brain cells for silicone and having a reversal with it being a primarily beefcake cast can start the balance the books. That and hopefully this reversal will have a chance due to so far not being High School of the Dead bad and making people never want to see this sort of thing ever again. So even if I look up some more of the show and find it lacking I don't think I'll hate someone else for liking it. I say sit back relax and watch those wet pretty boys glisten in the sunlight for it is all going to be all right.


No comments:

Post a Comment